Thursday, January 24, 2008

"His heart is steadfast..."

When you have a close loved one (your wife, for example) who has what constitutes a major disease (such as cancer), bad news eventually becomes routine. Not that you get used to it, you just get used to the idea that it's going to keep happening. Kind of like getting beat up by the neighborhood bully; you never get used to it, but over time you come to expect it, and resign yourself to it.

So when Yvonne called late this afternoon to tell me she was in the emergency room with severe chest pains, my first response was to steel myself for the blow; it looked like the bully had caught us with our collective guard down again. Fortunately it wasn't any of the very serious things it might have been, but a case of Costochondritis - an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. (Similar to Costcochondritis, the inflammation in my brain when I go to costco.) One Aleve and one hour (and several hundred dollars) later and she was feeling fine.

Maybe getting resigned to bad news is better than what my response used to be - instant panic - but it's not what I want it to be, either. In spite of the fear, pain, weariness, and anxiety that have marked this battle with cancer, God has proved his faithfulness and trustworthiness in ways that we would never have seen otherwise. So, after experiencing God's provision, grace, and comfort first hand over the last few years, you'd think that when bad news jumps out at me now that my first response would be to remember God's faithfulness, remind myself that He is still in control, and trust Him.

Right. Uh-huh.

Not yet, maybe, but this I aspire to:
"He (the righteous man) will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." Psalm 112:7

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Costcochondritis... you're so funny! :)

Gregg Koskela said...

I think the fact you can make a good Costco joke is a good sign...

But in all seriousness, I'm glad to hear that this was a non-issue this time. Maybe everybody, God included, would give you permission not to have so many expectations about how you "should" react to things. I don't think God's grading you on your reactions, I really do believe he's wanting to love you through them.

Emidor said...

Since we are made in God's image, he understands our shock, pain, and even anger at bad news. Knowing that God feels the same way when we give Him bad news helps me better understand His love for me.

And yes, I think God can find humor in our frailty and shortcomings, too!